Information for Parents/Carers
As a parent/carer you are one of the most influential people in your child’s life and in the best possible position to support your child as they consider their future, review their options and make choices. Research shows that children look to their parents first when they want career advice. Whilst some young people have a very clear idea of where they see their pathway leading them, others may take a while to decide – you can help by:
Starting the conversation
- Focus on skills and behaviour your child will need, rather than specific jobs
- Talk about goals and what your child finds fulfilling
- Be open minded and encouraging
- Talk about what careers experiences your child has had during their school career (lessons, visits, tutor time, citizenship and assemblies)
- Be patient as your child’s choices may change
- Remember it’s your child’s decision on what direction they want to go
We realise it can be challenging to know how to ask the right questions, you may want to start with their interests, skills, abilities, values, and knowledge of the world of work.
Useful Links for Parents
- The National Careers Service is also a good, reliable source of impartial advice and guidance
- Parent Adviser – offers advice and guidance to help you to support your child with choosing a course, university, apprenticeship, gap year and finances
- Career Pilot Parent Zone offers lots of information about choices at 14, 16 and 18, along with FE, HE, Apprenticeships, Funding and Support
- UCAS – undergraduate advice for parents/carers
- Target Careers – Paths to Professional Careers: A Parents Guide
- My World of Work help to explore over 600 job profiles
- Parental Guidance from the Careers Writers Association gives advice and information needed to support young people during their transition to adult working life
- Amazing Apprenticeships Parents Resources
- The National Apprenticeship Service – Parents Guide to Apprenticeships
- iCould provide a range of good articles in one place that examines the range of choices available to young people at 16 and 18, these are specifically targeted at parents and carers.
This podcast will provide a space for listeners to:
- Explore which careers are available today
- Showcase the experiences of interesting and diverse role models
- Provide real-time insights into how the world of work is changing
…all through a parents’ perspective.
Each episode features a panel of diverse parents, bringing their questions and insights to expert speakers to try to tackle and offer practical solutions to some of the challenges parents currently face in supporting their children to make informed decisions.