Whatever the nature of the local community, pupils are growing up in a wider multicultural and multiracial society where they are subject to various attitudes towards minority groups, and also certain images of these groups portrayed by the media.
The School stands against all forms of discrimination on the grounds of ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or ability.
The over-arching principles of the objectives are as follows:
• Promoting equal opportunities
• Eliminating unlawful discrimination
• Eliminating harassment
• Promoting positive attitudes
• Encouraging participation of disabled people in public life
• More favourable treatment/reasonable adjustment
This is achieved through the following objectives:
1. Promotion of cultural understanding and awareness of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our school community.
2. Monitoring and promotion of the involvement of all groups of students in the extra-curricular life of the school, including leadership opportunities, especially students with special educational needs and disabilities.
3. Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students and all groups of students; especially students eligible for free-school meals, students with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and students from minority ethnic groups.
4. Continue to improve accessibility across the school for students, staff and visitors with disabilities.
5. Reduce the incidence of the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by students in the school.